Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Perfect Green Smoothie! Surprisingly DELICIOUS

So Sherene made me my first green smoothie earlier this summer and OMG IT WAS SO GOOD.
Thick and creamy and sweet (actually a little too sweet for my tastes!) and you seriously could NOT taste anything green in it at all!

Determined to recreate the experience I took my immersion blender, several handfuls of spinach and made my own.  JUST AS DELICIOUS.


After some experimentation I've found the PERFECT starter smoothie. It's great for the uninitiated and uses only TWO very common ingredients you probably already have in your house.

The key is to BLEND YOUR GREENS AND LIQUID FIRST until they are perfectly smooth. This prevents leafy bits and guarantees a silky-smooth drink.

Trust me. I hate chunks. And there are no chunks in my smoothies.



I used my off-brand (Bella) immersion blender, but any high-powered blender aught to do the trick.

Perfect Starter Smoothie

2 handfuls spinach (about 1 loose cup)
Orange juice to cover (make sure you use all natural orange juice, not from concentrate. I like extra pulp for creaminess.)

Blend.

Add whatever else tickles your fancy.
I like tofu because it adds CREAMINESS and PROTEIN and is in fact super-delish.

Other things I've tried include:
blueberries (I didn't like it @_@ the color is off-putting. I'm weird.)
strawberries & cocoa (SO RICH)
avocado (SO CREAMY. Even creamier than tofu~!)

You can also add:
banana
flaxseed
black sesame
protein powder
coconut flakes
raspberries
peaches
apples
lemon juice
parsley (wait I think I did do this one. It was good.)
mint
whatever tickles your fancy!

Make sure to switch up the greens every week or so~

More on that next post :D