Sunday, January 29, 2012

VERMONT Curry with Chickpeas & Apple!

VERMONT curry is a brand of Japanese curry that contains apples and honey, which was originally formulated to be kid-friendly (kids love sweet stuff, amirite? ;D) This recipe contains apples and is relatively mild, hence the name.

It is not, however, your usual Japanese curry, since it lacks most of the spices found in Japanese curry (Tai is sensitive) and the thick roux.



For more on Vermont curry, check out this super-informative history of Japanese curry from House Foods, which produces Vermont Curry. This article also contains a breakdown of some of the spices used in curry, and their health benefits!

Also, on my web-adventures finding out the history of Vermont curry, I came across this ADORABLE commercial:

I did not know this before, but I guess cheese is an acceptable accompaniment to curry. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!! Now my idea for a curry hot-dish is legitimized. MUST DO IT.



Materials & Methods:

Sautee over medium-high heat 'til aromatic:
1 apple, cut into wedges, cored, then sliced very very thinly
1 knob ginger, sliced finely
1 carrot, diced

Add:
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1-2 bay leaves
2-3 cups of cooked chickpeas
turmeric, cumin, pepper, cayenne, etc. to taste

Cover and simmer.

After the tomatoes have exuded their juices, check the flavour and add salt to taste.

Serve.