Sunday, June 19, 2011

You Only Think You Know Me

I like things that pretend to be other things. Like food erasers, animal disguises, or cupfakes.
Photobucket

I also have a mad obsession with waffles, and a recent craving for pizza. Combine that with a lack of an oven, and you get.... creativity!

Photobucket

I guess this is not so much a recipe post as a "here are some things to try and some tips to avoid the mistakes I made" post.

Ingredients:
Pizza Crust dough (homemade or storebought)
Pizza Toppings cut into very small pieces


Directions:
1) Roll out your pizza crust VERY thinly. The thinner the better, though not so thin it breaks. I did that a couple of times

2) Lay a layer of crust over your preheated waffle iron

3) Top with toppings (which will be more like fillings

4) Place another piece of crust on top

5) Close the waffle iron, remove excess dough, and allow to bake for 5-15 minutes (irons vary!)

I suggest using fresh tomatoes, not pizza sauce ;D

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Using ingredients with strong flavor such as basil and garlic will help to offset the crust flavor without needing huge quantities, which wouldn't fit inside the waffle pizza anyway

If you are concerned about making your waffle iron too dirty, you can put a small wad of crust dough into your waffle maker, bake it by itself, and then top with toppings and bake in an oven. But my goal was to make pizza without an oven, so this is my waffled pizza pockets ^u^

Remember, the crust will puff slightly when baked, so don't overstuff!

1 comment: