Wednesday, June 22, 2011

French Silk Mini-Pies!

The first time I had French Silk pie it was from Baker's Square and it was at once wonderful and terrible: silky smooth and light, infused with rich chocolate flavour, but SO DAMN SWEET. I couldn't ever finish a slice 'cause I'd inevitably eat up all the whipped cream to balance out the silk, leaving several bites of lonely chocolate with no cream to temper it.

Turns out making French Silk is REALLY easy to make. Like, really really easy. Like, two steps easy. The trick is to whip it long enough (just like the castella!) and use really cold fresh eggs. Oh yeah, there are raw eggs involved. DON'T FREAK OUT --- you're more likely to get in a car accident than contract salmonella. Plus, if you use organic free-range eggs, you are only 1/5 as likely to get salmonella compared to using conventional eggs. THE ODDS ARE IN YOUR FAVOUR!!!

Nonetheless, if you've got a compromised immune system, or are otherwise vulnerable (e.g. pregnant, an infant, or elderly) this probably isn't the dish for you. Or, you can use pasteurized egg product, though I haven't tried it so I dunno how well that would work out.

Back to the point: now I can make French Silk pie that isn't OTT sweet! WOOHOO!!!




THERE BE RAW EGGS

French Silk Pie Filling 1/2 recipe, for mini-pies. Double for regular pie.

In a small bowl cream together:

* 1 stick (1/2 C.) butter, room temperature
* 1/2 C. + 2 T. superfine or granulated sugar
* 3-4 T. very good cocoa
* 2 t. vanilla extract

Whip in 2 very cold and fresh eggs ONE AT A TIME for at least 5 minutes each.

TADA! YOU'VE MAKE FRENCH SILK PIE FILLING!!!

Fill up your pie crusts, top with fresh whipped cream, and stick it in the fridge for an hour or so to set.

Alternatively, put 'em in the freezer -- they set faster! Also, this pie freezes gorgeously.
Why mini-pies?, you ask. 'cause I only have one pie tin and I used it for banana cream pie. Didn't you just make banana cream pie?, you ask. Fuck yeah I did, and it was just as delicious this time as it was last time. Even MORE delicious, actually, because I added extra bananas and a secret sprinkling of almonds under whipped cream layer. Aren't you going to get fat from eating all this pie all the time?, you ask. No, because I don't eat all the pie, all the time -- moderation, it's great! Where can I get adorable heart-shaped tins?, you ask. Well, I dunno if they make them any more, but three years ago I got them from Cub Foods after St. Valentine's Day for CHEAP. A quick Google search yielded these silicon ones.

Happy Baking!

2 comments:

  1. This looks yum! I want to find a way to make it without the eggs though XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked, and can't find a good one without the eggs ~x( I think it's the eggs that make it French Silk. Otherwise it'd just be chocolate mousse :x

    ReplyDelete