Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kimchee

Kimchee was one of those things my mom always made when we were little, but I never liked until I got older, moved out, and had to kinda figure out based on other people's recipes and what I remembered from childhood TT____TT Thankfully, kimchee is really STOOPID EASY to make (this version is, anyways. Kinda related side note: NHK is coming out with a drama called 恋するキムチabout kimchee, and it looks WAY more complicated the way they were doing it --- like rubbing the leaves with paste and rubbing the salt on a particular way etc. Check out the preview on NHK's Youtube)

This is a basic, vegetarian/vegan kimchee (traditional Korean kimchee uses oysters or shrimp to get the fermentation going. O_O I've also read recipes that use yogurt. I don't use anything. It's worked out great :D) I like to make it with napa, but bok choy or any other leafy green with edible stems would work just as well.

Materials and Methods

Wash and chop up one head napa. You can make your pieces as big or small as you like. I enjoy thinly sliced rib and big fat pieces of leaf.

Combine with 1/4 C. sea salt & 1 C. water.
Let sit 10 hours or overnight, at room temperature.

Drain and squeeze out extra water.

Combine with:
1 T. Sugar
1 t. Salt
2 t. ginger, chopped finely
3 stalks green onion, sliced diagonally
3 or more cloves of garlic, crushed
3 t. Korean pepper (It must be Korean. Does it have Korean on the package? Was it made in Korea? If yes, you've probably got the right one. If not, SOL, make do.)

Taste a piece and adjust seasonings 'til you're happy. I tend towards lots of garlic (~5 cloves *w*), pepper, and salt (I use 2-3 tsp instead of 1 ^^).

Pack into a sterilized jar and press it down firmly.

Seal, cover with a towel, & let sit 1-2 days in a warmish (but not too warmish) corner to ferment.

Store in the fridge. Keeps for...I dunno, I've never had a problem with kimchee going bad. It is inevitably devoured beforehand.

If you drain it well, it also make a great filling for onigiri :D

Happy Kimchee-ing!