Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chocolate Lava Cake

This recipe has a long and storied past. Originally I got it off the internets and wrote it in my sketchbook for making. I made it and it was delicious. Later, I published on my Japanese blog as part of a homework assignment. To keep it as Japanese-y as possible, I converted everything to grams and milliliters and whatnot.

Then, I lost my sketchbook. And I needed to make it again. So I went on my Japanese blog and converted everything back to cups and ounces and whatnot, halved the recipe (it originally required twelve eggs. TWELVE. And I would be eating it for weeks @_@), and made it. Predictably, I lost the slip of paper I'd written the recipe on and the next time I had to make, I was forced to once again convert the whole bloody thing from metric to English.

This time, I wrote it here. However, I never got around to publishing it because I kept hoping to get a picture of the finished product. Fat chance; these things go like hotcakes. So here we have the recipe, sans pictures.

Melt together over med heat:
1 1/3 stick butter
3/4 C. chocolate chips

Set aside to cool.

Beat 3 eggs & 3 egg yolks 'til lemon coloured.

Gradually stir in chocolate mixture.

Add 1/2 C. flour, stir to homogenize.

Spoon into foil-lined ramekins.

Bake 6-8 min. at 450 F, until the top is set and just cracked.

Serve immediately with some sort of cream and fruit.

The batter keeps for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.