Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chocolate Chiffon Cake


I HAVE FINALLY MADE ASIAN CAKE FROM SCRATCH!!! *w* For years I'd been looking for a recipe that could replicate the soft fluffy and not-too-sweet cake you get from Asian bakeries. I've tried sponge cake (too firm) and angel cake (too dry) and this one orange cake recipe my mom gave me (utter FAIL...mostly on my part, because I messed up the egg whites, so it turned out all tough and horrible).
But recently, after hours of Internet searching, I discovered that Asian cakes are actually based on chiffon cake! The fluffy texture comes from the egg whites, which are beaten into a meringue-like consistency and folded into the main batter.

This recipe came from Allrecipe.com, but I modified it a bit to make it more Asian (a.k.a. cut out some sugar). Also, I accidentally broke one of the eggs into the egg yolk bowl when separating, so I ended up with 7 egg yolks and one whole egg in the chocolate batter mixture, and 7 egg whites, and it tastes fine. :)

  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 7 eggs, separated
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. In a small bowl or measuring cup with a handy spout, combine cocoa and boiling water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add oil, egg yolks, vanilla and cocoa mixture; beat until smooth.
3. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
4. Gradually fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Mix it well! I ended up with streaks in mine 'cause I was afraid of overmixing, but it didn't adversely the taste or texture...just added variety ;P
5. Pour into a greased nonstick pan or pans of your choice. I made 12 muffins, a bundt cake, and a mini-heart from a springform pan.
6. Bake on lowest rack at 325 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Or, poke it with a chopstick and check for goo/sticky crumbs.
7. Invert pan to cool; remove cake from pan.
8. Serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit (or chocolate syrup :3)...or ice cream!

Happy Baking!