Monday, January 3, 2011

Butternut Squash Curry

My family has never been big on eating out. I remember Old Country Buffet being the "special treat" for birthdays and holidays, and looked forward to it every time! We ate out probably less than 10 times a year. Whenever we did go to a restaurant, my mom would analyze the food and figure out how to recreate it at home!





Now I have tried to do the same thing, recreating a curry spaghetti at home. I ate a delicious seafood butternut squash curry spaghetti at the hospital while visiting my cousin (I have no idea why, but there was a super fancy food court in the hospital! Very tasty and a huge variety of foods)

I omitted the seafood to make it vegetarian, and added much more butternut squash. Would you believe that I used to refuse to eat butternut squash? For some reason, I just figured I wouldn't like it. That is, until I finally tried it in hotpot. After discovering the smooth, rich taste of butternut squash, I can't go back!

This recipe is very adaptable. Feel free to add any vegetables or meat that you want. I added broccoli, which my mom thought was strange, but it really is very tasty!

Ingredients:
*Butternut Squash
*Carrot
*Potato
*Broccoli
*Instant Curry
*Water
*Onion
*Garlic
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
1) Wash and dice your vegetables
Photobucket"

2) Steam the hard vegetables (squash, carrot, potato) to make them softer, as they will take longer to cook than soft vegetables
Photobucket

3) Caramelize your onion and garlic with some olive oil
Photobucket

4) Add your vegetables and about 1 cup of water. Cover and cook until all vegetables are soft and cooked through. Add your instant curry and stir to distribute evenly
Photobucket

Photobucket

5) Serve over something deliciously carb-y and starch-y like bread, noodles or rice!
Photobucket

My curry is considerably more chunky than the hospital version, but I like it this way! The varying textures of the different vegetables work together nicely :)